- The information we gather
- How we use the information we gather
- How we share information we gather
- Tracking Technologies
- Survey & Sweepstakes
- Social Media Features
- Facebook Connect
- Correcting personally identifiable information
SourceForge Media, LLC participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. SourceForge Media, LLC is committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries, in reliance on the Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield List. [https://www.privacyshield.gov/list]
SourceForge Media, LLC is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under the Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. SourceForge Media, LLC complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Framework, SourceForge Media, LLC is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, SourceForge Media, LLC may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website [https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint], you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
SourceForge Media, LLC complies with the U.S. – Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data from Switzerland. SourceForge Media, LLC has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view SourceForge Media, LLC’s certification, please visit https://safeharbor.export.gov/swisslist.aspx.
A. The information we gatherWe gather the following types of information about users: Information you give us In certain areas of the Sites, such as those in which you complete a profile, submit your resume, create a new account, or enter contests sponsored by us or promotions, we may request that you provide us with certain personal data such as your e-mail address, name, postcode, profession, or work experience. We will, in such situations, seek to identify which informational items are required and which are optional, based on our real-time geo-location information. Information we collect about you When you use the Sites we may automatically collect technical information and information about your visit including pages you visited, the order in which they were visited, page interaction information (such as the links you “clicked”), IP address, operating system and browser software. Information we receive from other sources We work closely with third parties (including, for example. business partners, sub-contractors in technical and payment services and advertising networks) and may receive information about you from them. Aggregated data We may aggregate the data we collect from you (including the IP addresses, operating systems and browser software) (“Aggregated Data”) to help us identify the most popular areas of the Sites and determine the effectiveness of our promotional activities. We may disclose some of this information to advertisers to inform them of the number of people who have seen and/or clicked through their advertisements. When we provide this information, we take legal and technical measures to anonymise and de-identify the data so that it can not be associated back to you. SlashDot Media services are not available to children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13 years of age. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided Personal Information to us, please contact us, and we will endeavor to delete that information and terminate the child’s account from our databases.
B. How we use the information we gatherPlease take some time to familiarize yourself with the different ways we use the information we gather. Keep in mind that, we: (a) encourage all third parties involved, including but not limited to advertisers, to adhere to our policies regarding the privacy of our visitors and users and to otherwise handle personal data in a responsible manner; and (b) in accordance with relevant privacy laws put in place appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of your personal data. However, notwithstanding those measures we do not assume any responsibility for any actions or omissions of third parties to the fullest extent permitted by law, including the manner in which they use information received either from us or independently. Nevertheless, in the event you encounter any third party associated with us, or who claims association with us, who you feel is improperly collecting or using information about you, please contact email@example.com.
- How we use Aggregated Data: We use Aggregated Data to build higher quality, more useful SourceForge Services by performing statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our visitors and users, and by measuring demographics and interests regarding specific areas of the SourceForge Services. We may provide statistical information based on this data to advertisers, users, and other current and potential business partners. We may also use Aggregated Data to inform these third parties as to the number of people who have seen and clicked through links to their sites. With respect to surveys, we will treat information provided by you in accordance with this section and Section F (Surveys & Sweepstakes) below. We will disclose only Aggregated Data regarding users, i.e., anonymous information that does not identify any specific individual. Circumstances under which we would publicly disclose such Aggregated Data include, but are not limited to, sharing survey results with the site population, providing data to our advertisers on user preferences and/or demographics, and publicizing overall usage data in press communications. Where surveys allow users to submit written comments, and where we advise users of the possibility of such disclosure at the time they take the survey, we reserve the right to disclose any information provided by users, provided that no personal data identifying a specific user is disclosed. Participation in surveys is at a user’s option. We do not conduct mandatory surveys.
- How we use personal data: We may use personal data a user submits for the following purposes related to our business:
- To understand a user’s needs and create content that is relevant to the user;
- To generate statistical studies;
- To conduct market research and planning by sending user surveys;
- To notify user referrals of SourceForge Media services, information, or products when a user requests that we send such information to referrals;
- To improve services, information, and products;
- To help a user complete a transaction, or provide services or customer support to users and to recipients of SourceForge Media products;
- To communicate with the user and with recipients of SourceForge Media products and services including continuing to provide users with information (by electronic means or otherwise) about other services we offer that are similar to those that the user have already received or enquired about;
- Where we have a user’s consent to email users about services, information, products and offers from our business partners (and as set forth in the Section How we share information we gather);
- To personalize a Site for the user;
- To provide forms, opt-in and opt-out choices appropriate to a visitor’s geographical location;
- To notify the user of any changes with a Site which may affect the user;
- To allow the user to purchase products, access services, or otherwise engage in activities the user selects; and
- To allow us to contact you by phone and/or email.
C. How we share information we gatherWe will share your personal information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this privacy statement. We may share your personal data in the following ways:
- We may share your personal information with service providers to help us with our business activities such as processing credit cards, email marketing, offering customer service, or operating a community forum. We include provisions within our contract with these companies to ensure that they: (i) use your personal data only as necessary to provide these services to us; and (ii establish safeguards to protect the confidentiality of the information that we provide them.
- We may share Aggregated Data compiled from information collected from users of the Sites, without prior notice, with entities that are part of the SourceForge Media corporate family and unrelated third parties. Aggregated Data is used in a collective manner and no single person can be identified by such compiled information.
- We may share certain data from Slashdotmedia.com, SourceForge.net, and Slashdot.org with researchers and research organizations for the purpose of supporting academic and scholarly research on free and/or open source software. We may further choose to establish agreements for these parties to act in a clearinghouse capacity and authorize them to share this data with other researchers studying free and/or open source software. When data from these websites is transmitted to researchers, we make commercially reasonable efforts to remove personally identifiable information from data fields designed to capture personally identifiable information (other than user names and information that users have made publicly available through one of the sites). We, however, do not guarantee the complete removal of information that may identify a user, particularly in cases where the user has provided that information in comment fields or other fields not specifically designed for the collection of identifiers.
- We may disclose information submitted by or concerning any visitor or user as we reasonably feel is necessary to protect our systems or business;
- If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on the Site of any change in ownership or uses of your personally identifiable information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal data. SourceForge Media reserves the right to assign, sell, license, or otherwise transfer to a third party your personal data in connection with an assignment, sale, joint venture, or other transfer or disposition of any portion or all of SourceForge Media’s or its affiliated entities’ assets or stock.
- Strictly necessary – these are cookies, web beacons or other similar technologies that are required for the operation of our Sites. They include, for example, technologies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Sites. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Advertising or targeting-related. These technologies record your visit to the Sites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our Sites and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
PixelsWe use pixels, or transparent GIF files, to help manage online advertising. These pixels are provided by our ad management partner, DoubleClick. These files enable our ad management partner to recognize a unique cookie on your Web browser, which in turn enables us to learn which advertisements bring users to our website. The information that we collect and share is anonymous and not personally identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number, or email address. For more information about DoubleClick, including information about how to opt out of these technologies, go to http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/ or you may also opt out by clicking here.
FramingThe Sites may utilize framing and masking techniques to make it appear that the user is still on the Site when the user is actually on a third party website. We also have co-branding relationships with certain partners, such as at deals.slashdot.org. In these relationships, you will notice our service platform on our partner’s page. In this situation, both parties are collecting your data and both privacy policies govern the data collected. We will not share your data with our partner or other third parties without your consent in these and other relationships, nor do our partners share your data with us without your consent. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our Sites and to read the privacy policies of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information.
Web beaconsWe use web beacons from time to time. A web beacon is a string of code that provides a method for delivering a graphic image on a web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring data, or determining how many times a specific web page has been viewed. Web beacons enable us to recognize a browser’s cookie when a browser visits a Site, and to learn which banner ads bring users to each Site. For example, when a user visits a web page, the code for the page may include instructions to go to another server to gather a single pixel graphic image. Web beacons are not placed on a user’s computer. Such web beacons may be provided by our third party advertising companies to help manage and optimize any online advertising. To opt out of targeted advertising delivered by Network Advertising Initiative members, click here: http://www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp
- Apple Safari – http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042
- Google Chrome – https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647&p=cpn_cookies
- Microsoft Internet Explorer – http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-to-manage-cookies-in-Internet-Explorer-9
- Mozilla Firefox – http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Cookies
- Integrated communications,
- Internet access,
- Information sharing between developers and end users, and
- Downloads through third-party mirror providers
E. SecurityThe security of your personal data is important to us. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information. We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personally identifiable information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we will put in place appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of your personal data we cannot guarantee that, notwithstanding such compliance by us, information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. It is your responsibility to protect the security of your login information. Please help keep your account safe by using a strong password. We advise that you do not make any confidential information publically available through our services. If you have any questions about security on our Sites, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
H. Facebook ConnectYou may be able to log in to our Sites using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personally identifiable information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on the Sites to your profile page to share with others within your network.
I. Your RightsIf you would like us to stop processing your personal data, or would like to correct an error in such information, please contact us at email@example.com. If you have provided more than one email address to our service, you may continue to be contacted, unless you request to unsubscribe each email address you have provided.
- Access: Upon request SourceForge Media, LLC will provide you with information about whether we hold, or process on behalf of a third party, any of your personal information. To request this information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact us at SourceForge Media, LLC dba Slashdot Media, PO Box 2452, La Jolla, CA 92038. If your personal data changes, or if you no longer desire any of the SourceForge Services, you may correct, update or amend your personal data by making the change on our member information page or by emailing our Customer Support at email@example.com or by contacting us by telephone or postal mail at the contact information listed below. We will respond to your request within 10 business days.
- Data Retention: We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you SourceForge Services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you SourceForge Services, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
- Blogs: The Sites may offer publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal data from our blog or community forum, contact us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal data, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
- Testimonials: We post customer testimonials on the Sites which may contain personal data. We do obtain the customer’s consent via email prior to posting the testimonial to post their name along with their testimonial.
- Marketing, contests and sweepstakes: You can opt-out of receiving promotional emails or notifications about contests or sweepstakes at any time by emailing our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that opting out of these emails will not end transmission of important information related to the SourceForge Services that are necessary to your account maintenance being sent to you.